Sunday, March 8, 2009

Day One

arriving at Orlando International Airport was intimidating at first. It felt like my first few weeks at Rollins where you're still trying to get your footing. I was still trying to get to know the group even though we'd met several times before the trip for orientation.

Actually getting to Peru was a journey within itself -- with delays, interesting flight attendants, lay overs, and continually keeping track of the group. I instantly felt bonded to the group before we even made it here. In retrospect, I was so thankful for the journey here because when the last person finally made it through customs we all rejoiced like it was graduation. "One step closer to a shower!" seemed to be the group-thought.

Creating the commradery before you make it to the destination is essential. The newbies can ask the vets how to fill out immigration papers and when you are with fifteen other people ready to experience a new culture there is no way they will lety ou lose your passport. Occasionally you need someone to whisper "we're in Peru right now!" to keep you in the moment. Walking down the street someone said "I think Peru might have the cutest babies of any country!" -- overhearing things like that bring you out of your own little world and allow you to experience a new aspect of Peru you never would have noticed before. In The National Museum of Archeology, Anthropology, and History Dr. Dulanto talked about Tique in the ancient Inca Empire. The idea of opposite, but complementary items coming together. It is a pattern in the Inca remains, and it made me think of the diversity of our group. We have freshman, seniors, Spanish natives, individuals who can't even speak Spanish, some of us have never traveled abroad, and othres are regulars. Though different, we complement each other. I think we creat a whole new experience within the trip by getting to know each other. \

Sometimes it's really great traveling in a group - and not just to picture share.

~Melody


Between airports and hotels we've already had some cultural experiences. Check out my first video here!

~Matt

1 comment:

  1. Hey my name is John Paul Tique. I'v been trying to find out what my last name means but I've run into a culture bind of sorts. All the searchs I do are in English but the last name comes from South America with no Spanish origin so it has to mean something in one of the hundreds of indian languages that were spokem in some point in history. Just wondering if you could point me in a good direction. johnpaultique@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete